Saturday, June 26, 2010

On Not Writing

Here’s a story about a twenty-six-year-old relatively newly-married girl, out of school for a summer and leaving her house only occasionally for air conditioning, workouts, and unnecessary coffee breaks.

Obviously, this isn’t a very interesting story.

As a student and semi-employed person during the regular school year, my current life doesn’t sound like a terrible way to pass a few months’ time, but as a writer, it’s kind of terrible. I mean that in the least whiny way possible. Because really, if you asked me what I want more than anything in, say, the first week of May or December, when I’m cramming in last-minute assignments and grading end-of-semester papers, I’d say that the one thing that would satisfy me, the only thing that would do, is free time. No obligations, nowhere to be, no deadlines. I would have a notebook full of fragments and half-ideas, and I’d be desperate to sit down with them. Now, I have all the time a person could need, and I have nothing. This is just the nature of the job.

So we’re over a month into the summer break, and I’ve accomplished something that I really did need the time to do – I finished a draft of a novel that I’ve been working on for over a year – but all I can seem to muster the creativity to do now is revise that draft and nothing more. There’s not enough magic in stasis. So I tried reading some books. Well, three books, the last of which I haven’t finished despite how great it is. And I tried listening to music. And watching movies. The problem is that I do these things, hoping to latch onto something new, and then nothing happens. For now, I just try to be content with revising the novel and not worrying about writing new stories or whether or not someone will decide to publish my work this time around. It’s not the easiest place for me to sit in for long.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking in place of all the writing I used to do. (Actually, I’ve been writing my thoughts in a journal just to make myself feel more productive.) I had plans, sort of. I mean, I understood the general path I should probably be on to succeed (i.e. get published, land a teaching job, etc.). But having a plan and having that plan actually work aren’t the same thing, and the more I sit with my thoughts, the more I question why I am doing things the way I have been. Why do I submit stories over and over? Why do I write new ones? Why do I go to school? There are some easy answers to these questions as well as some more complicated ones, but the main point is that these things I do are part of a plan that isn’t really working the way I hoped. Not yet anyway. Generally, the rule is this: be patient, grow a thick skin, and persist until a door opens. I know that. I just wonder sometimes, why this? Why not something else? Why do I have to publish short stories when I really want to be a novelist? Why not focus on the book and skip over the part of the process that’s hanging me up? Do people do this? Obviously some people do. I know of at least one person who has already. But it’s not the way of the MFA program or, as I understand it, the way to get an agent, and so on.

This has been a year of second-guessing for me. Even though this novel has been the one solid thing I’ve taken away from my first year in this program, which I had already been invested in and dedicated to before-hand, I spent a good several months hating everything I wrote and changing what I wrote and how, and for the first time in my life, I felt lost. Like I had lost my own voice. I believe this was a result of exposure to new books, new teachers, new voices, and that’s the way, I think, artists ultimately grow and mature in their craft, so it’s not such a bad thing, but there was this period of unsettling that was pretty scary. I’m only just starting to recover from it. And instead of inspiration for new stories, I’m left with more questions.

So, in my latest funk, this static period of no inspiration, I have latched onto this new idea: what if I shouldn’t be a writer, exactly? It’s not a crisis of identity, I don’t think. It’s just that I wrote this book with the inner concept of it as a movie to begin with – because that helped me to write it. And I’m a little embarrassed to admit that because, in many writing circles, film is thought of as a lesser art form, which I don’t actually believe is true. There are terrible movies, yes, but then there are also terrible books. I think that writers have a tendency to say it’s a cop-out of some kind, that it’s easier than creating and bringing to life a world in a book. But the more I imagine what my own story could be on a screen with movement and colors and music, the more I feel limited by words. I’m not saying that I don’t want to write my book, or that I don’t want to write more books after this one, just that I want to make something bigger than I’ve made so far. And I want people to experience it.

This could be a phase. I would be less agitated and confused if it is just a phase. But if it’s not, then what?

Anyway, I don’t know what this post adds to the world or why I’m putting it out there. I guess it’s a way to say, hey, I’m writing something, even if it’s really nothing.

6 comments:

  1. Melanie,
    I believe this is the way of life. I know, that sounds so existential, but it's true. So many times I think the path is about one thing, only to wake up one morning in the middle of that thing and realize it is about something more, or different, or bigger...or simpler, it has been about me getting something internally.

    I have always said this about your writing. I see your stories as if on a screen. You have a unique voice that paints a picture. And if you can translate this into film, or perhaps be satisfied that this IS your voice and allow your writing to paint beautiful and haunting and humorous and captivating visions, I know you will be successful in your art. You already are.

    Keep writing. Keep dreaming. Your voice is important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My suggestion is to stop downplaying what you have accomplished. How many people in this world can say that they've written a novel? And at your age? That's such a giant undertaking that I can't even imagine how I would refocus my creativity to start on something else. Sometimes you need something vastly different, and sometimes you just need to recharge your batteries.

    If you think you might like writing screenplays, will it hurt you in any way to try it out? If someone is debating with you about how "artistic" a medium can be, they are really trying to win an argument of taste. These people are full of themselves. "Artists" or "art critics" who scoff at other mediums are short-sighted, or are just trying to protect their jobs.

    As a final note, I know I don't work in a high-supply, low-demand industry like the one you're trying to break into, but the one thing I've noticed about successful people is their willingness to spend time to do something of quality, and to spend time getting better. Eventually, the hard work pays off and the good people get noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel,
    It's funny the things that you write that are more cinematic than literary. There have been a handful of things I wrote that worked better on the screen than on the page. But here's the thing, there's a moment when you're writing a script (or a novel) where you reach the line. The line is drawn between lit and film. The choice you make is where the project goes. That thing I wrote in workshop was really great when acted out (probably would be a better play than film) but writing it as a story brought stuff out I had no idea I had written. Does that make sense? I think that the hardest thing when drafting is looking at your baby-of-a-novel and thinking, "This could be bigger." I'm sort of blabbing, but here's what I want to say: Writing screenplays is easy--Novels are hard. And i'm not knocking screenplays...you know that, but I'm saying that if you know how to write dialog and scenes than scripts scroll onto the page...but writing a novel and making it look (in yours and the reader's mind) is fucking hard. But when you succeed...shit...well...
    - J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for pep talks. I'm lucky my family values this stuff or I'd have given up a long, long time ago.

    Josh, I feel like I can trust your assessment of novels vs. screenplays since you've done both. (Also, for my family, I feel like I should clarify that you are not "my" Josh. Numbers would be helpful here...) I think that, in the beginning especially, novels are way harder. You don't have mannerisms and music and so many other things that can instantly set a mood and indicate or hint at a character and a story. But now that I've finished a draft of the novel, those extra little things are hard to grasp and add through words alone. There won't be faces and voices to match the characters. And there won't be music, which is so important to the story. I think, in rare moments, that I've written a good book. I just also think it would be a good film too. Maybe it can be both. I have no idea.

    The real issue I'm having is that I want to control the story. I want people to watch it play out exactly as I've seen it in my head, and when you leave readers to do that themselves, they can get it wrong. (This is also the beauty of literature.) But even if I wrote a script of it, there would be a thousand more elements that I wouldn't be able to control, and I don't know what's worse. This is probably why I've ordered books about both writing screenplays and directing. I feel really silly acting like I might actually pursue any of this, but for now, I'm just going with the impulse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, Kyle, no, there's no risk to writing screenplays. I'm taking a class on it next semester, and I'm sort of studying it on my own right now so I can learn before-hand. The risky thing is that I might actually want to do more than write scripts. I might want to direct or something. And I don't know anything at all about that, nor do I have a background in it or knowledge, or contacts. It feels pretty outlandish of an idea right now, so that's what I guess I feel silly about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should make your deadbeat husband doing something inspiring.

    ReplyDelete